Bristlecone & Dolomite

Bristlecone & Dolomite

Here’s another bristlecone pine detail from the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. This was made in the middle of the day (as are almost all of my photos from this trip because I can’t seem to get myself out for sunrise - ha ha). The sharp shadows and contrast between the wood and the rock appealed to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a73r, 97mm, f/16, 1/250s, ISO 400.

bonnie_lampley
4 Likes

Nice contrast. Between a rock and a hard place.

1 Like

Another beauty, Bonnie! The wood/stone combination works great for me as the wood has those wonderful gray highlights and streaks here & there. You had yourself a very productive trip!

1 Like

I really like how the image is basically divided in half between the two surfaces. Well seen and captured.

I love the very effective use of the the strong black lines here, they make the image more dynamic looking, I also like how the black lines run horizontally at the top, but vertically in the white rock. It just makes for a wonderful abstract.

If you had told me that an NPN member had gone to shoot the Bristlecone pines, and that this image and your prior one were what they came away with, I immediately would have guessed it was you Bonnie. I love how you sought out such unconventional ways to shoot these often photographed trees. To me this has a lot more impact than “just another” Bristlecone tree at sunset image.

Very strong and impactful image Bonnie! The starkness of the dark shadows is a bit too heavy for my eye, but it’s not my eye you need to please!

Thank you, @Ronald_Murphy, @Bill_Chambers, @Michael_Lowe , @Ed_McGuirk, and @Jim_McGovern for your comments and appreciation.

Jim, those shadows are stark, and that’s what made me stop and look. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ed, thanks as always for your thoughtful comments. I’m glad you noticed the two sets of lines, that caught my eye, also. I’d have to say, though, that I don’t seek out unconventional compositions. Mostly, I just notice things as I hike (trudge) along, trying not fall off the trail. Trudging has its benefits. :wink:

Seems to have been a very good day in the forest! Also this one is a very pleasent image. Very well seen and captured. I like the contrast as you explain but also that some grey areas of the tree anyhow somewhat matches the grey rock.

1 Like