Broad Billed Motmot & RP

About two weeks ago I posted a picture of the Broad Billed Motmot. Here’s another image that shows its distinctive tail plumage. I like this because of the backlight.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Iso-2500, 500 mm, F6 .3, 500th, D 500, handheld, no flash, 80% of full frame

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is outstanding, David. Excellent perch, pose and open beak; and you did a superb job on the exposure with that awesome backlight. My only suggestion, if you’re not entering this in a no-clone contest is to remove the branch in the lower left, but that’s a very minor nit in a very excellent image.

A very nice bird with a great head turn for you. I like that very much. I looked at this two or three times and each time my eyes were pulled to the background. I think the image is stronger with a more muted background, and a bit more light on the bird. Here’s a quick example of what I was thinking.

I also reworked this using the darken/lighten center/border filter in Nik and then through in a TK luminosity mask to improve the contrast on the green plumage. Thanks Dennis and Keith for your feedback.

1 Like

David, a truly gorgeous image and of course this unique & colorful looking bird too…:+1:

Beautiful bird. Detail looks great and I like your re-post that brought out more of the color, especially in the tail.

Super pose you caught here David, I was thinking the background looks a bit oversaturated.

Thanks Nate for your comment. I agree the last post was a little oversaturated. Here is another repost.