Brown Prionid Longhorn Beetle

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500, 200mm f4 micro + Nikon close up lens, 2 off camera flashes (1/250 sec at f25, ISO 125) Zerene Stacker 2 image stack PMax, Levels, Brightness & Contrast, rubber stamp tool for removal of dust and specimen pin. This is a studio shot of a beetle specimen from my reference collection and will be used for training materials. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I am working mostly from home and have been in isolation. So, I am working on macro-photography in the studio. Hopefully, I’ll be able to do nonstudio things once the pandemic ends. Call me lazy, I used f25 to keep the number of images in the stack to around 2 to 4. Diffraction is not an issue with today’s sharpening algorithms. Enjoy…Jim

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A very nice shot, Jim. Great details and color. Lighting is very nice, considering you had to use a flash. The white BG makes him stand out nicely. This is a very difficult time having to stay in like this, but hopefully soon we will be back out shooting. We live out where we can go outside and take walks, but it has been very windy, so macro shots are very difficult. I haven’t tried bringing subjects inside yet, but may have to.

1 Like

Awesome photo Jim. The details seen here is amazing and thanks for posting the technical information. Your are right diffraction doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore

1 Like

Jim: One MUST view this at the largest image size to appreciate how spectacular it is. The detail is amazing and fascinating. Just a superbly crafted shot. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Jim, this is a great illustrative image of this beetle. The details show beautifully in the larger version.

1 Like