Bufflehead + Repost + Repost 2

Incorporating some @Diane_Miller ideas:

With Radial Gradient Added:

I was in the middle of posting this and it occurred to me that a slight radial exposure gradient around the duck and its reflection might be effective. I also warmed the light in the gradient a bit.

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went out to our local “duck” pond yesterday morning and spent an hour or so there (Friday seems to be preschooler day at the pond and while it’s nice to hear the kids enjoying it, it doesn’t do anything for keeping the birds close). I spotted this guy way across the pond, much too far for a shot, but he kept swimming toward me and then crossed in front of me well within range. Then,he even crossed a plant free patch of the pond, so there were only four tiny spots to clean up in the background. The only thing lacking was sun.

Specific Feedback

I used Topaz Denoise AI for this one as I was noticing too much background noise left by my usual NeatImage noise reduction. It seemed to work a bit better in this case. Part of the problem was that I was trying to bring out the minimal ripples a bit more and when I did that it also emphasized the noise. I’d be interested in how you think the background looks.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/1600, iso 5000, manual exposure. Processed in Topaz Denoise AI, LR & PS CC. Straightened and cropped a bit off both ends, content aware fill on the corners. Levels adjustment through a luminosity filter to bring out the hood colors. Final size was 8424x5760. Taken at 9:16 AM on April 14th under a fog layer.

Hi Dennis
Both post are great, but I am going the cooler shot. Love the reflection.
Peter

Hi Dennis,

I’m not seeing any issues with the BG unless I zoom in real close, then I see some very slight noise, otherwise, it looks good to me.

What I do see is that you handled/processed the exposure on the white parts of the Bufflehead very well! The details look great and they’re easy to see! :slight_smile:

The direction the duck is paddling in is very appealing and of course the low shooting angle is great as always!

The reflection is outstanding.

The cooler version is more appealing to me but that’s just my personal preference.
But, after looking at them a little longer, the warmer version seems to bring out the iridescent colors a bit more.
Tough choice.

Nicely captured and processed, Dennis! :slight_smile:

Nice look at the Bufflehead. The whites turned out well, showing some detail. I prefer the radial gradient image as tend to like warmer images and as Merv said, the iridescence is brought out more. The background water looks good and seems to complement the duck.

I like both of these Dennis with a slight preference for the first one. I like the subtle highlight you gave the duck in general and the little extra pop. Background looks good on both. Well done.

Terrific shot and I like what the radial gradient did - more lively and inviting to me. The original seems too flat in comparison although by your description of the foggy conditions, that’s to be expected. Goes to show that some subtle processing can make things more immediate and engaging.

This is a lovely and very creative photo with the dark unusually dark water and perfect reflection. I prefer the enhanced and slightly warmer image…gives a bit more depth. Though I do love the more graphic impression of the original as well. Though as I am learning it may depend on how you want to use the photo. (I personally like the first one on a website with the brightness of a screen to enhance, the second I might print and put on my wall to go with my contemporary and graphic decor).

Awesome clarity in the reflection!! There is an unusual mottled look to the water, which seems to be some sort of color noise. Maybe have another look at the raw conversion steps? I wouldn’t except that from that camera and software.

I would have an urge to bring out a bit more detail in the whites, and maybe in the darks as well. Just a bit.

For me, there is so much visual weight to the bird and the reflections in the wake that the negative space feels excessive. I would crop top, bottom and right, which would show off the wonderful detail even more. I do like the radial gradient, and it could be shrunk to fit a crop.

So very late here but I had to tell you Dennis just how much I like the finished and cropped image. The warmer version is hands down the better image and I also love the crop that was suggested by @Diane_Miller. The problem with having light and trying to shoot buffleheads is that you blow the whites out. Not the case hear. The angle of the bird is really nice, the flat calm of the water makes for a pleasing front and backdrop and you achieved iridescence without much light. I have no issues with the noise. The feather detail is really nice also. How did you get this guy to come this close??? I have a hard time getting within 50 yards or so. Well done!!!