Burlesque

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

There’s an extremely gnarly cottonwood tree with a huge burl in a nearby park. On a recent walk in the park, I was entranced by it’s features. I thought about doing a series of the different textures, but most shots didn’t turn out so great (using my phone camera). This was the most interesting.

Specific Feedback

No special feedback needed - any comments welcome. I know there’s blown highlights, but I’m not worried about that as this is just for fun.

Technical Details

iPhone 14 in macro mode; processed in ACR and PS; used a TK8 Panel mask (darks 2, I think) to convert to b&w, using the Mask-to-Pixels action.

3 Likes

Bonnie, this is quite the “thing”!..maybe an aerial of some very pokey mountains… It definitely gets the imagination going.

Wow Very cool !!!

Looks like dead tree with bark removed. This is really intriguing. I see fish or some kind of creatures emerging from something asking to be fed and a whole lot of other things. Fits topic very well. Nicely presented.

Hi Bonnie,

It’s amazing how the mind will invent “Something” if you sit and stare at an image long enough! :roll_eyes:

I see “Mass Exodus” but with some kind of fish, Marlin maybe?. (Can’t think of a better term. :frowning: )

Neat find :slight_smile:

Hmmm…Looks like I’m not the only one that sees fish.

Hi Bonnie,
wow, that’s really cool. My first reaction was, this is a drone shot of an otherworldy landscape. Then I read your text and learned it was a phone shot. But I would never have guessed that it was tree bark.

Additionally, it looks like a drawing or painting to me.

Really great. I love it.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver, @Gill_Vanderlip, @Jim_Gavin, @Merv, and @Jens_Ober.

2 Likes