Burnished Burghead

Burghead Harbour, Moray, Scotland

I am going to pre-empt you all as I am pretty sure what will be the biggest issue that folk will have with this picture and indeed every shot I took during the course of that evening. I can assure you that I noticed it too and that there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. I will leave it to you to fill in the blanks.

Golden sunlight strikes the sinuous line of the old stone harbour wall turning it a rich burnished gold. The smooth sea had very little wind to ruffle the surface but the underlying swell was huge and it slopped up the ramparts occasionally spilling over them creating a mirror like shine

Fuji GFX50S, 32-64 zoom, 0.6ND Reverse Grad, 6 stop ND combination Polariser, f/16 at 15 Seconds, ISO 100.

You mean the juxtaposition? (I hope I am using the right word)
Its a beautiful scene, with some beautiful light.

I’m guessing the merger of the end of the jetty with the horizon. And with a jetty this long, I can see why you could not move to eliminate it. Next time you need to bring a big stepladder :grin:

Great use of negative space, i do like that you have the jetty ending about halfway across the frame. And the sky and water look very painterly here, nice work with your color processing. The warm tones create a very gentle mood, that fits well with the calm water. Well done Ian.

Yep you got it, Ed. The more pictures I took and the better the light the more annoying it became.

It looks like it would be relatively easy to clone away the part sticking up, if your personal ethics allow that sort of thing. Everyone has their own sense of what they are comfortable with of course, and that’s fine.