CA Quail

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

We were just hangin’ out last evening in the back and I had my camera handy… just in case and I was able to get some backlit shots of a couple of Quails that like to come in and peck at the stuff that falls down from the bird feeder. Here’s papa. This was easy work. I didn’t even have to get up… D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 440mm, ISO 3200, AI Clear, cropped to 4007 x 2957

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Ooh, nice quail photo! He really posed for you. I love the warm reflected light on his underside.

Lucky you, Dave. Great photo, love all of the detail in the quail and the oof background really helps to set him off. The diagonal placement of the tree limb worked out perfectly.

He gave you a perfect pose. Feather detail looks good, and I like the perch. I don’t mind the back lighting, but it looks a little harsh? Only other nits are that the image is noisy, and the background is a little busy. I’m not sure where the noise is coming from. This doesnt look like it was underexposed. Maybe a big crop?

Hi Dave, a striking bird. the details on the bird look good to me. You handled the strong backlighting well. I think running a little noise reduction on the background would help.

A superb backlit image, Dave. The detail is incredible and I like the brighter background. Very well done.