CAMERA STRAPS - review and technique

An excellent review of CAMERA STRAPS from Shuttermuse. (Posted with permission)
Some techniques might surprise you. 19 straps reviewed, and all with prices at several places.

1 Like

Thanks Sandy for putting the article on NPN so we can take a look at it.

I think I have transitioned thru many of these strap systems and a few others that are not listed.

I have learned that I use the strap system I need when I get to location depending on the event/hike-in and/or camera(s)/len(s).

However 80% of the time I’m using my own system which was inspired by watching Dave Black as PSW a few years back. ( Think tank belt with open leather pouch on left side and the newest Peak Design Clip on right side)

It is lean/lightweight/configurable and now the Nikon Z7 mirrorless really minimizes the trekking burden.

I am still looking for the perfect big glass/Nikon D5 solution and would love to hear what members are using for shooting all day events in the open field.

Hi, Ed - as far as carrying around a D850 with a 500 or 180-400+TC - I’ve been fine using an extra-padded tripod foot as a handle. It’s certainly not light, but entirely manageable.
My secondary system is attaching a padded strap with 2 correctly-sized wide loops, one to the front of the lens and the second to the back of the camera, with the cam/lens balanced. I put the padded strap over my shoulder and my left arm around the camera to help support it.
Sandy

Cool, thanks for sharing. I have a Blackrapid sling strap, and added a clamp for my L-plate, and attached another clip to the strap and L-plate for added security. However, I almost never even put it my bag anymore because I rarely used it. Most of the time I just carry my camera and tripod together in my hands, or occasionally just take the camera off and grip it in my hand. I realize that is probably dumb, so I might get one of those wrist or hand straps. I’ve been doing this for years though - I’m just such a tripod shooter.

Really Right Stuff has an excellent quick release strap that integrates with their plates. Heavy duty and overkill for my Fuji rig ( was probably overkill for my old Nikon & 300 as well) but sturdy is good.

What are the thoughts of large telephotos, cameras and straps? Some have said it is better to have the strap attachments to the lens foot vs the camera to reduce stress on the lens mount. My Fuji 100-400 probably weighs twice what my X-T3 body does.

I use one of the simpler straps for my 5DIII because it usually has a smaller lens on it. I’ve tried the black Rapid and Cotton Carrier for my birding setup, but neither one really felt comfortable. I have a simple strap on it, mostly as added security, but I usually carry it by the tripod foot on the lens or attached to the tripod. I like the @Sandy_Richards-Brown idea of attaching to both ends of the lens. Maybe she could post a picture?

Any heavy lens should be carrried by the lens foot, not by the attached camera. the camera/lens connection area is the weakest part of the set-up and it’s wise to stress it as little as possible.
Even with great care, I’ve had the connection loosen and have needed repairs.
Sandy

I’ve found that to be the most important feature in any strap system. The worst failures I’ve experienced with any strap system have occurred while the camera is in use and the strap is dangling. Snag a dangler, and your gear is going to go places you don’t want it to go. And quickly. Often followed by a sickening clang or crunch.

I talked to Really Right Stuff yesterday when I was ordering a lens foot plate. The now have the quick release socket for the strap incorporated in their newer lens foot plates.