Canada Goose

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This one is from March 22nd at the same pond as my last post. A pair of geese took off and flew close enough for one of them to come very close to filling the frame. As usual, I clipped the wings when they were at full up extension, but I liked this image where they were at the half way point.

Specific Feedback

There was a bright out of focus tree directly behind the goose and I added some extra blur to the background to subdue it. I also added canvas and applied a levels adjustment through a luminosity mask to the near wing to bring the shadows up. I’d like to know if those adjustments worked.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/9, 1/1600, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Canvas added (top, bottom and left) to a final size of 8640x6184. Taken at 9:00 AM on March 22nd.

Wonderful catch with great detail! The adjustments look perfectly natural to me.

Hi Dennis, nice catch with terrific sharpness. I think the background really adds to this image and looks natural. Well done.

1 Like

The processing looks just fine. I like the background; it’s nice to have a bird in flight not against a blue sky. As usual, great detail and well positioned in the frame.

The adjustments look great to me, Dennis. I think what I like the most about this image is the background. It’s soft and muted but variegated with such nice tones. Terrific wing position and soft lighting on the bird. Love it!