Canyon Twilght

What technical feedback would you like if any? All comments and critiques are welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I went for an artistic impression during the recent processing so any feedback in this area is welcome

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Nikon D7100 with Nikon Lens 18-85 set at 68mm
1/5s @ f16 and ISO

Mid-June 2018, looking west and taken at 8:00 pm after I turned into a pull out on 395. I was returning from the Mammoth area heading back to Bishop, CA. I’m sure a good many NPNers in California have traveled this section of highway often. It can be spectacular. From the pullout I did a small hike to get to higher ground and just marveled at the light and the views of the Eastern Sierra, north and south. With only the soft evening shadows on them, I was entranced by the details revealed in the slopes. I was very disappointed with the original results when I first developed the image only in Lightroom. But during this “stay at home” time I purchased a copy of Guy Tal’s, Landscape Photographer’s Guide to Photoshop, (after reviewing his Ask Me Anything session of course) and started to learn a bit more and understand a few Photoshop things. The sky is a combination of a color balance selection mask and a hue and saturation mask. I liked the “frame discussion” I followed a while back in the NPN topics category, so I thought I would use one. I like the composition, the small dark specs in the pasture foreground are cattle and I did not want to remove them. I used the Lr clarity slider to try and bring out the the craggy detail of the slopes. Maybe could use a little more but did not want to go overboard with it. And maybe do something with the shadows on the more rounded muscular slope on the left… I also like the sketchy graphic quality in the image Thanks for looking and reading, let me know what you think. Hope we are all safely “open” pretty soon.

A second posting trying to add some depth and texture. A little darker but I like the look. Thanks for the feedback again Nathan.

Hi Stephen,

The colour balance looks good to me. The pastel colours provide a calm scene for me.

I cAn see some dust spots in the sky that I would clone out.

The light on the scene appears a little flat. I would consider a gradient filter darkening the foreground a bit so there is a bit of a tonal transition

Thanks for the feedback, Nathan. I’ll try and address that tonal transition from the foreground.

Different strokes, I guess. I prefer the more subtle processing of the first post. The pastel colors are nice. I didn’t see the dust spots untill I looked at the darker image, but they also show up in the first post if you know where they’re at.

Beautiful image, lovely sky. I prefer the sky in the redo.

The sky is definitely popping for me in the redo.