Cape fuchsia

Description: I found this plant being offered for sale at a Ohio greenhouse and purchased it as a hummingbird attractant. Hummingbirds do come in and feed even though this plant is native to the Table Mountain area of South Africa. Cape fuchsia are related to figworts and produce copious quantities of nectar.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D850 105mm f2.8 Micro (1/80 sec at f5.6, ISO 64, 2 flashes set at +1 and -1ev, 40 image stack with focus shift). Zerene Stacker pMax, Levels, High Pass filter sharpening, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, Crop for Comp…Jim

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

Lovely light on these, with the reds well controlled. The high pass filter may have contributed to some of that magic. The stack looks wonderful!

This plant looks like a target-rich environment – I wonder about trying for some with only 2-3 blooms.

1 Like

I can see how humminbirds would love these although it would take some fancy flying to get into them. The way the flowers grow from the main stem makes this a bit difficult to position cleanly and the overlapping blossoms are a bit at odds with the formal presentation with the black background. The light is gorgeous though and the colors look smooth and natural. Not sure how I feel about the top leaf behind the stem…

1 Like