Carolina Chickadee

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We recently discovered that chickadees have a nest inside our split rail fence.

Specific Feedback

This is an adult bringing in caterpillars for the chicks. I realize the image is rather stark but I always find food items a strong point of interest (for me anyways). As such, I cropped in tight to better show the green caterpillars and de-emphasize the boring perch. I like that the only real color in the image comes from the caterpillars. Any feedback appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 400, f10, 1/640s

Rough day to be a caterpillar. Lots of personality and drive in this photo - hardworking little birds! I think emphasizing the feeding behavior is better than getting any more environment given the fence. I doubt our songbirds are at all close to breeding given the weather. Big birds, sure, but the little ones need some warmer temps and less snow. Super fine detail here - I love the eye and the feathers.

1 Like

I like this as posted, Allen. The beak full of caterpillars is what this is all about and it tells the whole story.

1 Like

Definitely tells a story; the eye is drawn right to the caterpillar. Excellent detail in the chickadee. Not sure what that is sticking out of the chickadee’s backside, but I’d be tempted to clone it out. The dark background really makes the chickadee pop.

1 Like

Lovely, and a great story. Bright light was a challenge but the angle was manageable. Blacks may be just a bit blocked up?

I always wonder how they manage to catch so many bugs, presumably sequentially. Drop the first one, grab the second, scoop up the first without dropping the second, then repeat…?

1 Like

This is a wonderful photo…I love the dark background and the pop of the green, great detail too. I think the perch is fine as it is part of the colour story. I find the bird a bit too centred…a bit more negative space would suit my taste.

Very nice capture, Allen

I’ve seen ours snatch up big gobs of meal worms that we keep out for them (and other birds) but this is much better since they’re such a nice shade green (the caterpillars that is).
Strange thing though, this last bag of meal worms are untouched, the chickadees are only going for the sunflower seeds. I do see them on the suet block once on a while though.
I still haven’t tried bark butter (yet).

This is a really clean image, the BG color is complimentary to the caterpillars and the chickadee.
I don’t mind seeing split rail fencing, etc., the split rail is wood and came from a log after all. :slight_smile:

The tail looks wavy for some reason, they usually look smooth and streamline, don’t they?