Carolina Mantis with prey

I found this Carolina Mantis lurking on the seed head of a Queen Anne’s Lace and started taking some photos. Then, it grabbed this ant that came walking up the stem and proceeded to munch away. (7D2, 180mm macro, f/11, iso 800, tripod)

1 Like

Wow! Perfect timing, Mark! A fascinating photo all the way around with really pleasing colors and great detail. Very nice!

Wow is right, Mark! The surprised look on that ant’s face (yes, even detail in an ant’s face), and the way the mantis is holding it in his arm/leg, just really makes this shot spectacular. The head turn of the mantis, looking straight into the lens, like “you aren’t going to mess with my snack are you” look. Just a great emotive image all the way around. Then there is the flower, placed nicely in the image, and the smooth BG. I don’t really see how it can get any better than this! :+1: :+1:

Yes, wow! The framing, action, and colors are super. :+1:

Awesome Mark, the Mantis looks like he is proud of what he got. Ant was not a happy camper. Love the comp. with how he is sitting and the top of the flower. Nice color in the background as well

Wonderfully awesome Mark, as the others have said. Very nicely seen and captured.

Mark, great catch in action. The color on the mantis are the same as the colors on Queen Ann’s lace, so it would be hard to spot it. Composition is excellent. sharpness is good throughout. Great image!

Mark what is beautiful is the colors that you captured across the frame. You have two colors on the flower, and the same on the mantis, and the same on the bg.
Lovely capture by the mantis, and then by you…:wink:
Balan Vinod

Great catch Mark. Love being able to see the face of the ant with open mouth. Color scheme is quite complimentary as has already been mentioned. Nicely done.

Mark: :thinking: Where did my comment earlier go? Anyway, this is just 4+ awesome on so many planes. Color, action, expression, BG - all come together to make a terrific image. Most excellent. >=))>