Catching a Glimpse in Time

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The different colors and contrast of the stones caught my eye. The clouds and young man in the photo let the viewer know it was a cold day and that he and I were the only ones observing this moment in time.

Creative direction

I was standing above this scene looking for a composition. This young man walked down to the ocean and stood there gazing out at this beautiful ocean scene. I though it was a perfect shot to tell this young man’s story.

Specific Feedback

Could the composition have been better? Did I include too much or too little. Is there enough interest to keep you looking?

Technical Details

Sony a7r v 24-70 mm @44 mm
f/18
ss/1/400
ISO 640

Description

This image was taken on Ocean Drive in Acadia NP. It was a cold windy day without a lot of big surf. I was standing above Thunder Hole, a big attraction in this park. It’s a spot where the ocean flows into a small, narrow channel. If the surf is strong enough, it will act like a blow hole and a gigantic splash will come up the sides of the channel and make a big thunder like sound. The park has build a stairway down to the channel so people can experience it very close. So close that a good spray will get you wet. Since the big heavy silver railing goes directly down to this area, you can’t get any kind of photograph without the railing showing in the image. The photograph I took was just to the left of the staircase.

I think you captured the feeling and story well in this photo. I like the drama of the scene. The human figure is perfectly placed between the rocks and against the white background. I’m wondering about cropping in a little from the left side, perhaps just past the end of the spit of land poking out? Great image. I feel like I’m right there in the scene.