Center Piece

This was taken at a Japanese Garden. It was around 9:30 am . This plant was low on the soil and partially covered by the shadows of other bushes. The center flower was open and it was what caught my eye.

Specific Feedback Requested

General feedback on the picture and its quality. My goal was to focus on the center flower and use the buds in the background as a shape to frame the whole image.

Technical Details

Nkon Z7
105 mm (f 2.8 VR S)
F/8
ISO 200
1/160

Good concept, but I’m not sure the flower itself has enough oomph to dominate the scene. I think if it was in full bloom you’d have had more success. With these kind of unformed flowers or passed by flowers I like to get in even closer. Also, it seems on the magenta side. Seems to be good detail there (the file is so big it’s a pain to enlarge and navigate) and I think the square crop works, too.

1 Like

Nice photo and the 1:1 ratio helps. I wonder if warming the scene just a bit would help some. I like the ant in the middle although if the flower was the main subject maybe some of the ones OOF need to be cloned out. Nice position for the photo.

1 Like

Marie, with the ants on the partially opened flower, I think I would prefer a nice close up of just that flower. When just looking at the thumbnail I’m wondering what is on the flower, and when enlarged the ants are visible and more of the subject. I guess if the flower in the center had been in full bloom , the buds around it would be a nice support to the center flower as the subject. That said, probably when shooting the ants weren’t even so noticeable. I’m glad you still have flowers to go out and practice on though. Getting pretty brown around here.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you!

1 Like

I appreciate your feedback!