Centered

A general rule is to never place your subject dead center. The argument is that it becomes static because the visual tension of being off center is lost.

This green sea anemone was shot in a tide pool at low tide. Due to it’s spherical nature where there is symmetry in every direction I felt that centering it was the best composition.

The anemone has radial symmetry but I usually center subjects that have lateral symmetry as well. An image that has lateral symmetry, such as a peak where both sides look identical, looks wrong to me when it’s not centered.

2 Likes

Igor, I remember this image or another version of it. I agree that because of the symmetry, this looks great centered. The details and color changes in it’s tentacles are terrific. As you say, a centered subject feels static, this is often used to give that subject a powerful presence. In this case, the presence is there, but with all of the eye flow in the tentacles, your anemone does not feel static,

Igor,

Subjects with the added symmetry most often look best centered like you have presented here.

The colors and processing totally elevate this to another level as well.

Small suggestion, burn/paint down the small patch of water along the bottom, left of center. Not a deal breaker, but thought I would mentioned.

Not centering your subject, I think, is about as soft as the Rule of Thirds… :roll_eyes::wink:

Lon

Igor: This is really beautiful and superbly presented and captured. Great find and a wonderful image.>=))>