Central California oaks in springtime

Shot several years ago somewhere in San Luis Obisbo County, mid springtime. Any and all comments and suggestions welcome.

2 Likes

Real nice image, Tony. The subdued lighting is perfect for showing off the graceful beauty of the oaks and I am enjoying the drama in the sky with those storm clouds. The blue and green combination of colors work beautifully together and I like that little strip of land that you left along the bottom edge of the frame. No suggestions from me.

Tony , I think this is a very intriguing scene. I myself really enjoy shooting hillsides of trees, but in the northeast where I live, the forests usually cover the entire hillside, and it’s very rare to be able to see both the contours of the landscape and the trees at the same time. This scene has a perfect balance of open land and trees on the hillside. The open spaces allow my eye to linger and wander a bit more. The processing looks great, with nice color, but not too saturated.

My only suggestion is that I wish there was a bit more space below the bottom of the hill, it feels a bit cramped to me. I did a rework adding 4% canvas at the bottom, and doing a content aware fill in PS. It just feels more relaxed to me wih the extra breathing room.

The lighting is exquisite Tony. I too light the drama in the sky and Ed’s suggestion of adding more canvas on the bottom of the frame.

Beautiful detailing on oak trunks and branches. More space upfront makes it very pleasing

This is a beautiful, quintessential oak woodlands scene in California spring. Lovely color, texture, and light.

Tony,

Classic and beautiful California spring landscape; the clouds really add to this scene.

I think you’ve captured and presented the spring greens perfectly. My only nit was addressed by Ed - in wishing for just a bit more room at the bottom. No other nits - beautifully captured.

Lon

Great take on the feel and look of the central coast, beautiful landscape. I like it as posted, but then comments on my images often say they want more foreground space. This one works quite well for me.

I really enjoy this image, Tony, for the texture, simplicity, and rhythm of the gently curving horizon echoed in the foreground line, which is unfortunately nearly cut off the bottom. It also evokes the freshness of springtime that I just can’t get enough of. Well done.

For those who live in Central California, this is such a welcome scene. I recall that the Central Valley started to become like this in February. The migrating birds appeared at the same time. I think the new budding leaves and flowers attracted them. I, too, loved puffy clouds that often accompanied such scenes. I agree with Ed’s observation that the bottom feels a bit cut off. On the other hand, the added green layer feels a bit artificial because of it’s uniform width.

Beautiful image, Tony, for all the reasons already noted. I love the way the clumps of tree tops fractally mirror the clouds. This image is so tone and texture rich, it might be worth giving it a go in B&W. But, of course, it’s hard to beat green and blue. My one minor suggestion would be to tone down the blue in the sky, running along the top and upper left. I’m not sure if it’s the hue, saturation or vibrance - I’m guessing it’s the hue that feels like it overpowers the lower part of the frame a bit too much. The clouds themselves offer plenty of drama already. But, really, a minor nit. Beautifully done.

You really have me wanting to get out with this shot. These hills are a relatively short drive and they are calling me. :slight_smile:I agree with the added canvas at the bottom. It felt to cut off before. The colors look spot on to me if maybe ever so slightly on the cool side which I like and you have a beautiful sky.

It is a very refreshing image… Quiet, beautiful light, and the promises of Spring. And the sky just adds the right touch. Very well seen and pictured.

Wonderful image Tony, enjoyed viewing it . It certainly speaks to the unique beauty of pastoral Central California.

Thanks for all of the comments! I agree, a little more space at the bottom would improve the composition. I played around and decided halfway between the original and Ed’s rework is what I prefer.