Cicada, cold & wet

Yesterday, with a cold, wet all day drizzle sure quieted the Cicadas. The ones that weren’t up in the tree tops were almost totally immobilized. This one was within easy photo reach, so here are views from both sides. The green background is oof lawn while the browner background is a mix of shrub stems and a few leaves.

1. 7D2, 180mm macro, 1/50 s, f/8, iso 1600, tripod, 7 shot stack

1. 7D2, 180mm macro, 1/60s, f/8, iso 1600, tripod, 11 shot stack

3 Likes

Hi Mark,

Both views are fantastic. I like the colors better in the first and the water drops give a little more drama in the first as well. Our brood x are starting to appear so I may plan a few expeditions in the near future. And, I like both images as presented…
Jim

As Jim states Mark these both are excellent. There is a nice blend of color that really adds to the photo. I know people do not care for this insect however photos bring out the beauty in them. We also have 17 years since they were last here and digital photography has come a long way.

1 Like

Mark, both of these are very good, with wonderful details. I have never seen one with water drops on it. Amazing find, and captures. Both shots are excellent, but I think I like the first best too.

Impressive work. I’m not usually squeamish about bugs, but cicadas always give me the creeps. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. Maybe it’s because I’ve always lived north of their range … ? Either way, they are interesting and you’ve caught this one beautifully if that can be said for such a creepy looking bug.

Superb job on both Mark. The detail is stunning.

Outstanding Mark. Beautiful captures of one ugly critter. Well…I guess it isn’t ugly to another cicada…

I like the green one :slight_smile: nice shot.

Mark: Well these are spectacular. I actually prefer the color in the wings and the BG in the second but it looks like the eye on #2 is the least bit OOF. Wonderful find and your usual impeccable presentation. >=))>

Wow! These are amazing with the raindrops on them! They look like jewels. I think I like the bottom one the best because there’s more drops on him/her.

Really good detailed looks at the cicada. Both are well done with lovely bg’s. It is hard for me to tell but it looks like there is more detail or at least maybe sharper detail in the seven shot stack. 17 years and you come out and it rains.