Closing In

We had a strangely warm stretch earlier this winter, which melted our snow and gave one day of very dense fog. I had a very productive day of photographing spooky leafless trees in the fog, although in the back of my mind were worried thoughts about climate change, as always.

Type of Critique Requested

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

At first I was disappointed that the foreground trees overlapped the tree in the middle a little. I could have gone off the trail and down the hill a little bit and perhaps found a cleaner composition, but to me it wasn’t worth stomping around on the grass (nature first).

Now when I look at it, I think the overlapping branches add a nice tension to the image and may contribute to storytelling. Do any particular visual metaphors come to you? My imagination tells me it looks like the foreground trees are stalking the middle tree, like in a dark alley, and are slowly closing in. Or am I overthinking it?

Technical Details

1 Like

Brent, I’d say ghostly describes this scene perfectly. I like the faded tree in the distance and how it’s framed by the two in the foreground. The over of the front tree branches and the middle tree feels like they’re leading it forward (for an introduction??)

1 Like

Just now seeing this and am sad I missed it when you posted it. Wizard of Oz vibes in that apple orchard. Or a firing squad. Great atmosphere and placement of the three main subjects.

1 Like