Coastal mountains

Coastal mountains

Taken in the coastal mountains of BC

Specific Feedback Requested

I always have problems with the colors in these types of shots, is too saturated/not saturated enough, too magenta/not magenta enough etc…

Any critiques, thoughts or opinions are very much appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

blakerandall81
3 Likes

This is absolutely an amazing scene and beautiful image. For me the colors look great and not oversaturated. I don’t think I would take them any farther myself as it is beautiful as is for me. A bit of magenta cast and in these conditions that looks natural to me and I like it. I hope maybe I will see a view like this someday let alone photograph one. This makes me wish I had been there to see and take it all in. Beautiful image Blake!

Wow! This is an amazing image, Blake! It must be a rush to actually be there in person! You really captured it beautifully and it makes me feel like I am there!

To my eye the colors fit this dramatic scene. Strong but not overdone.

That sky is amazing in both color and light. I think the issue with color in the rest of the image is due to the fact that the sun is below the horizon. It looks quite natural though. Actually the pink flowers look to be oversaturated but I can see the reason for doing that. I’m just wondering how things would look if the darks we’re raised in the fg area (actually all through that first dark ridge).

What a splendid photo Blake! An image to look at carefully because is full a beautiful things: flowers, silky water, splendid mauntains and a sky glamorous. I am an exception: I prefer less magenta cast because it contaminate all the other colors of the image but you surley have tried and decided that this is what you like. I love it.

1 Like

@DeanRoyer @Nick_Bristol Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated!

Thanks @Vanessa_Hill! It was indeed, I actually set my bivy up about 10’ away from where I shot this photo.

1 Like

Thanks Igor, i’ll try brightening up the darks a bit. @Giuseppe_Guadagno yeah that magenta cast over the entire image is what’s bothering me too, the actually raw files are much more magenta do to most of the light being reflected off of the sky. Hard to know what to do, these types of shots always give me grief haha. Thanks for the feedback, it’s very much appreciated!

What a beautiful scene you’ve captured here Blake. Well composed with great foreground interest leading into the backdrop of gorgeous, glacier covered mountain peaks with a beautiful sky. As far as the colors, the sky looks very natural and real to me. Not overdone at all. The rest of the image has a magenta color cast that I can really notice in the thumbnail but not as much in the larger version but it’s still there. However, that may in fact be the way you prefer this an that’s great. Nothing wrong with it but it is noticeable to me. Also, the center of the scene where there is white water, is pulling my eye a bit. Not a lot but you might consider toning that section down just a tiny bit. It’s not blown out but it pulls my eye in an otherwise nicely muted scene. Wish I could’ve been there to see this unfold. One day! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! Sounds like a backpack trip? I hope to do something like that one day!

We all have our personal preferences; some prefer the magenta cast; others prefer a bit darker in areas; yet others prefer lighter , etc. For me I think this is just right. Marvelous image.

1 Like

WoW! This is an image upon which to feast one’s eyes. There’s a lot in this image, but you manage the comp well. The light is amazing, and your color and saturation is right on. The colors blend well with some good contrast in the flowers. I agree with @Igor_Doncov about lighting the fg flowers. I think you could have at least two images here if you crop a bit under the purple flowers in the center at right. I like the image as is, just mentioning the crop as an alternative image. I think the light and pink-orangish colors unify this image to make what otherwise could be too much chaos work well. Wonderful subject. I love BC. You are fortunate to have such a photographic playground.

1 Like

Wow, what a photo. Cant really say much more. Colors look great to me.

2 Likes

We caught a Heli to a remote location then I hiked from there to this spot

Thanks Larry, I’ll give that crop a try!

Thanks guys, the feedback is very much appreciated!

Thanks David, excellent feedback!