Columbine in the rain

I was watching the rain drops form on a columbine and wanted to get an image at the moment of water drop falling. It was hard to predict when it was going to fall and release the shutter at the same time. this was pretty close. water drop is just at the point of falling.

What technical feedback would you like if any? any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 7DII + 100-400 lens + 1.4x TC, tripod mounted
f/11, 1/40, ISO 640
This is about 50% crop of the original, a oof leaf on left upper corner removed

Canon DPP4, PSCC, Nik tonal contrast and detail extractor, sharpened with Topaz sharpen AI

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Lovely detail in the columbine, Ravi, and the water drop is very cool. It’s interesting that your stamens are green-around here they’re yellow, but there’s a lot of variations in this species. For shooting something like this, I think I’d channel my alter ego as a bird photographer and crank up the iso to about 2500-3200 to try to stop the motion of the drop a bit better, change the shooting mode to high speed burst, and as the drop was starting to get a significant size, just fire off a burst. You’d get a lot of junk, but you could probably catch the drop right where you want it. These days, there’s plenty of software that can handle the noise from a high iso image without sacrificing quality significantly.

You accomplished the capture of the raindrop and by doing so advanced the impact and interest substantially. Well done.

Thanks Dennis for your useful tips. I haven’t been brave enough to use ISO greater than 800 for the fear of noise. I just found Topaz denoise a good job of noise removal, so next time it rains, I will be ready. I was also using low speed burst and the shutter speed being slow, the next frame showed no drop.