Comet Neowise over Cloud dunes

Comet Neowise is within our range and so have tried to get a half decent image. The problem is that the longer the telescopic lens one uses, the lesser the exposure time in order to keep stars sharp
This was taken during nautical twilight

What technical feedback would you like if any?

WB - any subtle

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Open to anything really

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
4.0 secs ( not ideal ), F 2.8, ISO 3200, 200mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

Lovely image Karl of the comet in the evening hours. I like the counter weight of the clouds in the LR as they visually balance the comet.

I learned that the trick, even with a longer telescope, is to take shorter time exposure and stack them to reduce the noise that gets introduced due to the higher ISO used.

Thanks Youssef - That is Lonely Star Stacker - High ISO ( 10,000 iso) multiple images - some do 100 images. There is a learning curve to that. I tried with 10 images but made some mistake along the way - but used iso 3200 instead of 10,000. Fortunately it is here for a few days - hope that the weather cooperates !
But that is designed for stars - I don’t know about the comet’s relative speed and how it will work - guess i have to try

Karl, great image, I like the way you made creative use of the cloud in the composition. If you are going to use a longer focal length to make the comet more impressive, this is a clever way to do it without just having it in a field of stars.

Instead of dunes, I see the clouds as being like ripples in water, with the comet leaving waves in it’s wake. Very cool…