Coming into Leaf

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D, 10-22 @ 10, 1/1600 @ f8, ISO 320

A very breezy day high on the moors in the country estate of Lyme Park in Cheshire.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

That tree sure has some very nice form to it. I like how the branches are so defined with the new leaves growing in. The diagonal emphasis of the slope is a great dynamic element, especially when paired with the strong tree that anchors the scene. I do wish there was a bit more image at the bottom and the top of the frame though. A bit more space below the tree trunk would further help ground the image, and it might also anchor the tree in the lower left corner. That too is a great looking tree, and showing it rooted in the ground would ease the visual tension a bit. A bit more room up top would serve to lessen the visual tension between the branches and the top of the composition.

Whenever I set up a composition, I try to find the best placement for the camera so the subject interacts well with the background (You have done very well with this). Next, I pay close attention to the edges and the subjects that are close to the edges. I try to lessen any visual tension that distracts from the main subject.

What a beautiful scene. You captured the light well. I love the squiggly branches of the main tree.
I agree with Ben on the composition, though. Because that tree in the lower left is cut off, it has much more visual weight than it would if the entire tree were shown. It’s like an anchor weighing down the lower left corner. Other than that, this is gorgeous.

1 Like

Excellent shot Ian, the tree provides an interesting main subject, perfectly edited, excellent colors and a very nice overall mood. I would agree with Ben about adding a bit more space to the frame, unless there was a distracting element that you were wanting to leave out.

All has been said, Ian. I just want to comment that this could probably look nice in B&W, too. Especially with that textured cloud.

The beautiful light does a wonderful job of showcasing this stately tree, Ian. I also like the diagonal flow of the slope behind the tree along with the spring greens in the scene. No suggestions from me.

Ian,

Lovely would be an understatement I think. Beautiful rural scene perhaps closer. The light is gorgeous, the colors brilliant, but not over the top and the composition solid, all of which already pointed out by others. I would agree with Ben about a skosh more room at the bottom and if so, equally on top. The timing of this is wonderful as well in capturing the emerging spring greens of the grand tree.

The only thing additional I might comment on is that it’s a bonus to have just enough detail and breakup, hints of blue, in the sky. A straight, gloomy gray would have detracted just a bit; but this is just lovely as presented.

Lon

Ian, this is a wonderful springtime pastoral scene, the yellow and green colors color great. And that tree has such an interesting shape, the twisted branches really grab my attention. The tree makes this image work, despite the relatively bland sky. I agree with @Ben_Horne and @Bonnie_Lampley about wanting to see a little space at the bottom, in addition to the cutoff tree, the spring colors are so lovely that I would like to see a little more of them too…

Really nicely crafted image or “portrait” of this tree. I agree with the suggestions about a little more room at the bottom, but a really nice image.

Wow, you’ve got some great trees to shoot! I prefer this one as opposed to the more recent post because this one doesn’t have those distracting elements. NIce!