Common Bird, Uncommmon Beauty & Repost

Repost:

This guy had come too close to the observation dock to get a really decent angle on him and I’d zoomed in to get just a head shot (which I may post later). As he moved away, he suddenly went into a display mode and I was lucky enough to frame him without clipping the wings.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/11, 1/1250, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. The wing tip was just barely within the frame, so I added just a touch of canvas on the left and removed the same from the right using the content-aware crop tool. I also cloned a decrepit lily pad from behind the bill where it caused a significant loss of visual separation between the bill and the background. Taken at 10:36 am on March 12th.

3 Likes

This is really beautiful and artistic looking. I love the beads of water on his head and neck! Also the details in the feathers is really awesome! Great capture!

Nice display pose and capture of the iridescent green. Good detail and I like the setting with the oof lily pads.

Really nice color and detail on the head and body. This is different and I like that. Perhaps a tad more room on the left side if you have it.

Fast thinking got a very interesting image! I second @David_Schoen about adding a bit more on the left. I wonder about a burn toward the bottom of the brightest underwing area to keep the eye more in the frame. A quick mask with a large soft brush, with the center of the brush right on the lower edge of the frame, might be interesting – then use the selection for a Curves or some technique to darken and pull a bit of detail from the lightest tones.

A very interesting pose and good to be fast on the shutter. You were able to crop in just the right spot.

Hi Dennis, love the green head with nice detail that you captured here. I could see adding room on left and agree with Diane that toning down the lower portion of the wing could be an improvement.

Hi @Allen_Sparks @Allen_Brooks @David_Leroy @Diane_Miller @Vanessa_Hill @David_Schoen

I took your advice and added a bit more canvas on the left and added a levels adjustment layer through a modified luminosity mask to the underwing area. What do you think of the revised image?

2 Likes

I think it’s even better now!

I like that there is more room for the wings.