Common Nightingale

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Nightingales can be heard a lot this time of year, however they tend to sing well-hidden in the bushes. Hardly ever do I see them perched on top of something. This one is shot through foliage, where I aimed for the head to be unobstructed. Hence handheld, so I was able to maneuver a bit easier.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 with 500mm | 1/1250s | f4 | ISO1250 | handheld. Cropped, and I removed a branch.

2 Likes

Lovely, Hans. I really like the out of focus foreground greenery adding a tinge of color and blur to the perch. That gape is astounding-looks almost like a nestling.

Old habits die hard I guess! Wish you had audio to go along with this. Not sure I’ve ever heard one before. Good job focusing through branches, etc. I find that newer cameras are getting better and better at this. The overall soft presentation is a nice change from bird photos with a lot of contrast. Seems like a more harmonious spring photo.

This is a beautiful photo…the colours and soft texture embody spring. I love the action of its singing and how the yellow pops out. The OOF leaf in the bottom front is wonderful as adds depth. Great technique to get in between the foliage. I am curious, did you manually focus?

Hi @Robena.Sirett , no I shot this on AF mode, but sometimes if it has difficulties in situations like this I do tend to manually focus first and then let the AF keep the focus, that usually works pretty well for me. Best, Hans

1 Like

Hi Hans
My eyes just pop to the Nightingale head, beak and eye. I like the bird is breaking out of a dream. Very cool.
Peter

What @peter said!! You got a wonderful view of a wonderful pose with excellent IQ. I had to look up their song – it’s amazing!!

Hi Hans,

I echo all the good parts said above!

And I’ll just say that I love it! :slight_smile: