Common Tern Not in Fishing Mode

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any is fine.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/2000 sec at f6.3, ISO 500) Crop for comp (50%) Added some sky on the right as it was too tight on the right, Levels, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness and Contrast, Topaz DeNoise AI. A slightly closer shot and the texture of the upper surface of the wings caught my eye. Not as dramatic as my previous post, but more artistic. I am figuring out birds in flight and seem to be improving. I was having better focus lock when the terns were above the tree line. Keeper rate dropped when they flew below tree line…Jim

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

You certainly got a nice bif here. Lots of detail and a nice composition. I find some of the focusing options for cameras quite perplexing at times. It is hard to find one that works in all situations. It seems hard to get locked on sometimes when there are other “contrasty” objects moving through the frame. Well done.

1 Like

This is quite pleasing. Excellent detail and high key tones. You could have entered this in the high key weekly challenge. For BIF with the D500 and 600, prefocusing helps a lot.

1 Like

Hi Jim
Both photographs are very nice. The acton in your first posting really show what Terns are all about
and your causing Tern has great control of the black and white. I have had my best luck photographing Tern using a 9 point box and I’m using a much lighter Sigma 150-600mm lens.
Peter

1 Like

The near wing is just awesome, Jim. A very good flight shot. I can’t think of a way to improve this one.

1 Like