Common Yellowthroat and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Our camera club spent the morning at a local wildlife refugee. Came away with a few good shots, likely to appear on NPN

Specific Feedback

I was pretty happy with the pose, perch, and background.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 700 mm; 1/800 at f10; ISO 1250

Excellent pose and I love the perch, Allen. Great job on the processing of the yellows-they look perfect. You might try going over the whites on our left side of the head with the local adjustment brush in LR to see if you can bring down the highlights and get a bit of texture showing in there. Other than that minor nit, a wonderful image.

1 Like

Very cute pose, Allen. The BG is also very fitting for the Yellowthroat. I have to agree with Allen that toning down the whites above the eyes and bring in some texture would be nice , but not necessary. Nice shot.

1 Like

Beautiful bird nicely captured. I like the subject placement in the frame and the pose. Terrific background. Agree with the suggestions above. Great catch.

1 Like

I love that the bird is doing the splits! Beautiful photo.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments @Robena.Sirett , @Donna_Callais , @Dennis_Plank , and @Allen_Sparks . I tried to decrease the highlights in LR and this worked to some extent, but left the whites looking pretty gray. I took the image into PS and did some burning, which helped some. Any thoughts on the best way to improve areas that are too white?

Hi Allen,
Have you tried adjusting the RAW image? Bring up in ACR and reduce whites or the highlights slider?

Hi @Allen_Sparks , I tried that in LRC, but still leaves something of a grayish effect. I think the re-post is an improvement and I’ll probably leave it at that.

Allen, I think the repost looks good.

1 Like

I think the repost looks good too and works well as a final image. I mentioned working on the highlights using the RAW image as one typically has more leeway in taming highlights with the RAW. Just a suggestion you may want to consider for future work.

1 Like

Hello, Allen,
Always great when they have their legs on different twigs. Nice also that the bird is looking forwards. Actually I do not mind the blown white in the original image: the white on the front and the right of the head are details, so my brains fills in the left part. In these cases the overall atmosphere is more important to me than the technical perfectness (if that’s an English word). So: I love it as presented. Cheers, Hans

1 Like