Considering Canon R6

I am thinking of letting go my canon 6D ii for a R6. I in camera image stabilization is one reason. Anyone out there have experience with the newer R6 or R5 which is about the same other than sensor size. Mostly photograph insects and my 180 macro does not have image stabilization.

Hi

Since no one has responded yet I will give my 5 cents of info… I have not tried the R6+180 combo, so this is guesswork based on my experience with stabilization and macro photography.

It is very hard to stabilize camera systems at higher magnifications so the closer you get to 1:1 I have a feeling that IBIS is not really going to help you that much. Even the latest Canon and Tamron macro lenses that have IS units specially built for macro only give a stop or two in stabilization at 1:1. The IBIS is probably less optimized for the situation and longer lenses are inherently harder to stabilize as well so if IBIS for your 180 macro is your main reason to switch I say try before you buy so that you are not disappointed.

That being said the R6 is an amazing camera and has plenty of other benefits for macro. EVF with adjustable brightness, focus peaking, great continuous shooting speed, better high ISO noise, and for general photography IBIS, amazing AF and better dynamic range.

I upgraded 6D mk1 → EOS RP and while the camera is a bit sluggish at times I have not regretted it at all and I’m sure you will love an R6 if you change (it’s much better than the RP in pretty much everything but possibly the price tag). Just don’t count on amazing macro IBIS before you have tested that feature…

Thanks Ingemar. I am going to rent the R6 because I am not sure I really need to change anymore. I have been using my 90D for insects and just discovered that sensor is 32MP, bigger than I thought so that throws out my idea of just getting a R5 and let both my 6D2 and 90D go. The R6 would be nice when I need fast shooting of the 12fps it has. So will see how the rental goes with in.