Constant aperture lenses

Hi all. What are the advantages to buying a fixed aperture lens when using it at f8 or f11 most of the time for landscape photography?

Do they produce a sharper image when stopped down compared to a variable aperture lens?

Many thanks
Chris

My biggest aggravation with variable aperture lenses occurs when zooming, when a change in aperture is almost certain. The down side of fixed aperture lenses are weight and bulk. Compare a 800-200 f/2.8 with one of the generic 70-210 variables to see what I mean. The up side for variable apertures is the wider zoom range available in some, allowing you often to have one lens do the work of 2 or more.

My wife and I have “sets” of each- the lighter/smaller variable aperture lenses for air travel or long hikes when those factors are at a premium, and a set of fixed aperture zooms for local use around home or travel when their size and weight aren’t issues.

Chosen carefully and taken from the “high end” of the manufacturer’s lens line, variable aperture lenses don’t necessarily sacrifice a lot of image quality to the fixed versions. But for the most demanding uses there is almost certainly a discernible difference.

Thanks Hank. Is there much of a difference in sharpness when shooting stopped down between each or does that just tend to have more to do with the lens itself?

That’s going to vary with the lens models, and often with individual lenses in the same model. I fell in love with one particular model, and after trying mine my wife ordered her own. Hers was TERRIBLE. She sent it back for exchange, and the replacement was great.

The best way to compare image quality will be to seek out professional lens tests and reviews. I’ve come to rely on Ken Rockwell for our Nikons. I’m aware that he reviews some other brands, and there are others online in addition to Ken.

1 Like

Thanks @Hank_Pennington