Contrast

Graduated from Millikin University in 1980 so walked this path 1,000’s of times, but the new heavy snow made it new again.

Specific Feedback Requested

What could I do to improve this image?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Basic RAW processing in Lightroom with minor removals in Photoshop.

@gsimms22

Hi Gary -
it’s a little odd to post a building, but since you did and you ask, I think it could use some correction in terms of geometry - it looks like its leaning backward which is a thing very wide angles do to buildings. You can correct it in ACR or in Lightroom using the upright/transform tools. The snow looks nice and bright. I like the way the trees obscure part of the brickwork that leads to the tower and flagpole.

So that’s all I can come up with. Welcome to NPN.

Welcome to NPN Gary, thank you for sharing this image with us. I think your processing of exposure, contrast and color is well done. The composition looks well balanced as well. The combination of brown and white here works well together. I would agree with @Kris_Smith about some perspective correction to avoid the leaning tower look. If you are not sure how to do that, just ask and we can help with that.

Technically NPN guidelines do allow for the hand of man in landscapes with the caveat :

Landscape - Landscapes, seascapes, and celestial images. Human elements are acceptable as long as they are not the main subject. Please tag such images with ‘type_human-element’.

You can find the NPN guidelines here :

Even though human elements are your main subject here, since this is your first post as a new member, I’ll say that it’s fine to leave this post here in landscape critique. And you do have a minor nature story with the snowy trees.

Thanks, I’ll read the guidelines.
Please remove the image as I can’t seem to do it myself.

Gary Simms

Hi Gary, First, welcome to NPN! And 2 Gary’s in one day! Glad to have you here.

I’m with Ed in terms of subject matter. Sure, it’s a bit less of a nature photo, but we’re pretty easy going and I don’t see a reason to remove either. For future reference, there is also a category, “Non-nature” and could potentially be a good fit. But again, no biggie.

I think this is a well composed image and most certainly is a keepsake for you given your memories of the place and times. I like the bold presence of the “M” upfront and is well placed with the accents of the snow-laden tree and campus building. Exposure, color all looks good to me.

And I have no nit picks or suggestions. thanks for sharing and welcome!

Lon

Gary there is no need to remove the image from here. My discussion of guidelines was essentially for future reference, and as Lon said, in the future consider Non-nature category for an image like this one.