Craggy Lines (+ Re-post)

Re-Post:

Second Re-Post (cropped right side):

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken at Joshua Tree National Park. This is a 2-image multiple exposure, taken close to a rock wall that was in shadows.
I didn’t have a vision in mind. I was practicing multiple exposure technique to see if a pleasing abstract could be produced!

Specific Feedback

Do you think the blue-ish left side with its “roundness” complements and/or balances the rust-colored diagonal lines on the right side?

Technical Details

Handheld, 70mm, f/6.3, 1/80 second, ISO 400.

1 Like

This is excellent, Mark. The colour palette is wonderful and it has an almost cubist feel to it. I don’t mind the round shape on the left side at all because it isn’t the linearity that makes it work but the cubist sense of multidimensionality. The one thing I would suggest is bringing down the brightness over on the left side. I would let the blue and the texture come through a bit more. As it is, it unnecessarily pulls my eye. I would also consider bringing down the brightness or even using frequency separation to even out the very upper left and the upper right corners. But really, this is a marvellous abstract.

@Kerry_Gordon , Thank you very much for your comments. I re-posted the image with your suggestions. For the blue area on the left, once I took down the exposure a little the texture and blue really came alive. It looked like an x-ray before!
I’m not conversant with frequency separation (looks like I need to learn that skill), so I just lowered slightly the exposure in upper right and added some saturation. Just reducing the exposure made it kind of gray and dull, which I’m thinking frequency separation would help avoid.
Anyway, your suggestions really helped a lot. Thanks.

Sweet. That really tops it up. Beautiful.

1 Like

I missed this one earlier – a very neat idea with a very good result! The RP is just the right touch!

A search for frequency separation in PS will get some good information. It’s a technique I keep forgetting about but can accomplish some amazing things.

1 Like

Mark,

I too am enjoying this graphic abstract. Colors are wonderful and complimentary too!

Great job on taking Kerry’s suggustion on the rounded shape’s brightness. I really like the repost. My only suggestion is actually cropping the right to eliminate the one repeating shape from the double exposure. The reason I suggest is not for the repeating shape (there are more simply by the nature of the image creation, ) but more about balance. I like the rounded shape on the left (especially after the brightness reduction) but it seems right-heavy to me - which is my only reason for cropping. But just a thought for an alternate view.

Well done - and I’ll have you know for the first time ever, I’ve figured out how to do a multiple exposure on my DSLR! And will add that technique to my tool bag! thanks to you and the recent Death Valley dune abstract from @Beth_Buelow . Growing and learning on NPN!

2 Likes

Thanks @Diane_Miller and @Lon_Overacker for your feedback.

Diane, thanks. I’ll need to do some searching about frequency separation.

Lon, I’m glad you’ve found the multiple exposure settings for your camera! It’s pretty fun. I posted a second version with a crop on the right side, retaining the same aspect ration. As a result, the blue along the bottom LRC gets cut off, so I think I prefer the first version without the crop. But good to try different compositions!

Mark, this is really well done! I love the warm and cool colors and the different shapes juxtaposed. The re-worked image is nicely balanced to my eyes. A very abstract final result!

1 Like

Hi Mark, this is a fascinating image, using a technique I haven’t used since my film days, ha ha. I’m enjoying all the hues which blend well together, plus the juxtaposed diagonal lines. The rounded blue intrusion has a softening effect on the prevailing hard lines. Great find and well presented.

1 Like

@Alfredo_Mora , thank you and thanks for the EP. I’m experimenting these days so I’m glad it is appealing to some!
@Jim_Lockhart, glad to bring back some memories! With film it’s hard enough just to wait to see if everything turned out as planned, but then you add multiple exposure into the mix and that’s a lot of variables to wait and see how the results end up!

1 Like

Hi Mark
This is very nice .
I love your representation of the scene.
I do agree with with Kerry with the cubist mention.

1 Like

Really late on seeing this one Mark but what a great treat to see. @Kerry_Gordon description of cubist hits the nail on the head. All of your reworks have made a great improvement on an already terrific image taking this up to near perfection. I actually think it’s that Circular portion that adds the most to this multidimensional image.
Very creative to use the in camera multiple exposure mode to create this image. It reminds me to keep trying that out. I always forget. Thanks for the reminder. It’s like a box of chocolate, you never know what your going to get. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@David_Haynes Thanks so much. I’m glad the linear as well as the circular shapes are appealing to tou.
And man, yes indeed, Multiple Exposure is all about eating chocolates from a box. Love that analogy!