Crown

Camped near Mount Kosciuszko a few months ago & captured this image early in the morning.

The idea for this composition was to highlight this rock structure. In the foreground, I used the direction of the ice to help lead the eye in through the frame to the structure which is lit on the right-hand side.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’d like to know:

Does the composition work?

How do the colours look?

How does the sky look? *

• In the original shot, the sky was blue & clear. Unfortunately, it’s a 9-hour drive & 6hr hike away which I’m not going to get a chance to do for quite a while so had to make do with a sky replacement.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes

I’m not a landscape shooter that much – maybe because of 9 hr drives and 6 hr hikes in the dark and bitter cold – so I’m not a good critic, but I find this simply gorgeous! I love the lines in the FG leading to the rock. The blush of light on the snow is wonderful and I would never have thought the sky had been replaced.

1 Like

All the elements, including the sky, make for an amazing image. No suggestions for improvement.

1 Like

The composition and light works for me. I think it probably would look great with the original sky though, and would love to see that. I’m not really a fan of composites in general though :wink: I really like the textures on the snow and the color on the snow.

1 Like

Hi Dale! I really like the light, the rocks and the snow but I will 2nd @Matt_Payne suggestion to keep the original sky. I really like images as they were seen unless you’re going to do something abstract or ICM. But I feel like the big rock would break up a “plain” sky anyway. It’s a great composition, nicely seen!

1 Like

Would not have known it was a sky replacement. I like the lighting and the comp very much. This is one where centering the subject works.

1 Like

This is really eye-catching Dale. I immediately think of the “ends of the earth”…and maybe that’s how you felt after 9 hours+6 hours! Anyway, the desolation is absolutely beautiful! I don’t mind the sky replacement, and I’m glad you disclose such things. The lighting in the sky is matching the way the light hits the rock formation, so that’s good.
Artistic license has its advantages, in this case not having to trek 15 hours one more time!

1 Like