Crowned plover

Panasonic GX8 Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400

Not a bird you see much–a pleasure to view. Critique-wise, image quality could be better. Not sure if this is a big crop or heat waves or both, but the detail on the bird is lacking some. I’d also prefer if the bird didnt merge with the rock or have that orange outline around its head and a portion of its back.

Micro four thirds :frowning: One shouldn’t crop… I went back to larger formats a couple of years ago, this is an older image.

Respectfully completely disagree. It isn’t the sensor size. It’s the quality of the original capture. I’ve shot full frame, APS-C and 4/3. If it isn’t sharp from the beginning, then any crop won’t work. If it is sharp, it will.

Not a subject for a critique thread, I suppose. It is not about sharpness with me, of course a MFT image can be “sharp”; it is about the grittiness and loss of detail in the inherent sensor noise that comes out when cropping and enlarging. Maybe a nice discussion in one of the technical threads I :slight_smile:
Anyway I agree that I shouldn’t have posted this image - it is not up to my standard - sorry.