Dad and Kid

Description: In every litter of kits, one of the pups (I assume the dominant male of the litter) always attaches himself to the male fox. Pretty much everywhere pops goes, this kit will be with him, probably learning the ropes.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any. I wish my shutter speed had been a bit faster.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM zoom, f/13, 1/350 sec., ISO 2000, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

What a wonderful opportunity – they have posed perfectly on a lovely stage! Interesting behavior information, too – thanks! I’d give about anything to have a chance to observe foxes that closely. They are around here – every so often I see one on a security camera in the middle of the night. I wonder if we could build a fox house to encourage them to be outside pets?

1 Like

I wish I had some good advice for you on how to get those foxes to stay around, but I don’t. I live in a rural subdivision with a heavily treed bluff behind me where no one can build, so they have a place to go to feel safe, if necessary. Over the last 17 years, or so these guys have provided me with nearly endless entertainment and photographic opportunities. I wish everyone who loves wildlife had the same blessings I’ve had all these years. Thanks for your comments (I’ll pass them on to the foxes!). :slightly_smiling_face:

You have made the most of a great-sounding environment! We are in a sparsely-populated rural setting but maybe too much so, in that there are several thousand acres of territory for wildlife with only a few dozen houses, and they only come down here for the neighbors’ chickens.

Maybe I could copy the idea of bird feeders and start putting out Fancy Feast?

1 Like

Wow what a great catch. And the info about the father/son bond is interesting, too. I don’t know much about grays and have never seen them IRL. Have you tried cloning some of the brighter leaves into the dark area above dad’s nose to help it stand out a little more? Doing the opposite under the kit’s butt could help, too. I keep looking at those leaves because they’re so bright. But oh, what a privilege to see this and thanks for continuing to share!

1 Like

@Diane_Miller Ha! I’m sure they would gobble that Fancy Feast down! I have always resisted the urge to feed them, except for the bird seed. I don’t want them tame. But there is something in that bird seed they love. They will graze over that rock and pick out the pieces they like, and leave the rest. I do put water out for them. I am probably going to post a photo of the kit drinking that I took yesterday evening just after I took this shot.

@Kris_Smith Thanks, Kris. I could probably write a small blog about the consistent behavior I have observed over the years from family to family, and the small differences I have observed in individuals. Sometimes I can identify a resident by his/her markings, but mostly I can tell by their behavior. Newcomers are always obvious. Anyway, I can certainly tone those leaves down if they’re offensive. They didn’t bother me, so I didn’t mess with them.

They like bird seed?! Then they should be finding some spilled under our feeders. We had a cat who liked the sunflower seeds. He would pick them up and crack the shell and spit it out and eat the kernel.

1 Like

Ha! That’s funny. Yeah, they specifically like something in Lyric Supreme blend.

You are so lucky to have your subjects around, but my cameras are missing the jungle, thanks to pandemic. :anguished:

1 Like

I hope you are able to return to a measure of normalcy soo, Jagdeep.

1 Like