Day to Night

I’ve been experimenting & this is one of those, I’ve always been curious about turning something taken during the day into night - this is my first attempt

Done through editing with adding a separate exposure for the stars on a screen layer (I think that technically makes it a composite?)

Anyways I’d love some feedback

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Does it look convincing enough to be taken at night, does the ‘moon’ just off top left work & as a result of that is the light direction and dodging on things like the foreground and tree match up with that direction?

Composition & colourwise does it work? I tried to pull back on using saturation this time & I think it falls under a ‘triad’ colour combo (roughly purple/blue, orange & green)

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single-shot edited in photoshop then camera raw, dodging burning etc then towards the end as I was thinking about turning it into a night shot I added a separate layer for the sky which layered stars over the top of the existing image

I want to say also thank you all so much in advance - being able to have a feedback loop for my photography has been so helpful

It works for me. It does represent day to night, especially with the inclusion of the stars (without which it could be: “Here comes the Sun”.) This image must be viewed in largest presentation. I think the moon is very important. The overall flow of the image is toward the upper left. The grasses angle that way; the tree “looks” that direction. Without the moonshine there would be nothing to anchor (if that’s the correct word) the image. Excellent.

1 Like

Dale,

First I would say it works and I can believe this was a night image - A long-ish exposure under a full or large moon would light up the landscape like this, so I think that part works. The part I would question, when the moon is present in the sky - do we really see that many stars? And so my question in understanding your processing, you took a daylight image - so is that really the sun out of frame? And you combine with just the starry night sky? OR did the starry night sky have the moon off frame? regardless, the fact that the source of the light is off-frame, but obvious is important in what you’ve created here.

One thing I would suggest has to do with the composition. When I go full view I see an excellent horizontal crop that really showcases the dune, grasses and that funky tree. IMHO, the full vertical is too much and the grasses the bottom seem rather detached from the upper half of the frame - where all the interest is anyway

Another factor is the color balance. I think think you succeeded in making the landscape look like a moon-lit scene just based on the white balance; at least to my mind it looks like moonlight.

I think you succeeded in your effort.

Lon

1 Like