Death Camas

I’ve been eying the buds on these for a week and finally caught this one with the first flower open this morning. These are totally unrelated to the Common Camas I’ve posted recently. About the only similarity is in the leaves and bulbs. However, since the common Camas bulb was a staple food of the First Nations, that bulb similarity was important.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I cleaned up some dark blotches from another flower in the background-hopefully, there aren’t any signs of it.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, EF 180 f/3.5 macro, tripod, f/16, 1/125, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Taken at 8:19 this morning under cloudy skies and in the shade.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Dennis, this is a fine catch with the single open flower and the scattered water drops. There’s enough detail in the background to show that these grow in a prairie setting.

What catches my eyes first thing, is how the flower is standing so tall and straight but the background adds a nice texture of elements (grasses?) going in different directions. It’s a really nice contrast for me Dennis. Great capture.

You again have a sharp subject and a soft background as well as a straight vertical placement with the background grasses at angles. Works for me. No nits here.

A first class rendering, Dennis ! Love the setting with the grasses fading into the distance giving you the sense of coming across the flower in its habitat.