Death Valley - Color vs B/W

This is a 250mm zoomed in at 20 Mule in death Valley - sunrise.
Perhaps i am getting carried away with processing - please feel free to say so.

E2 Color - Here is more of the top - Sky a bit bland - hence borrowed some from the side image
E2 B/W - cropped further a bit - increased whites as suggested

@Ian_Cameron - desaturated version with a vignette and reduction of some brighter areas

Thanks @Lon_Overacker, @David_Haynes, @masdamb, @Keith_Flood - much appreciated!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any Shadows vs Lights adjustments

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Color vs B/W

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
A bit of Glow added in via TK7

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I prefer the BW version but my mind is curious about the very top of the image and wants to see a bit more of those badlands. The lighter colored tall hill that goes from the mid to BG is amazing!

Karl,

Great job isolating this bit of geology from the larger scene. I wouldn’t say you’ve gone overboard with the processing. The color version may be a bit more color than actual, but colors/contrast sure look good!

I do think the b&w works better simply because of the forms and graphic nature of the scene. Looks really good as presented. The only suggestion I have for the b&w would be to raise the light values a little, maybe selectively to increase the overall tonal range (blacks look good).

Interesting too that I prefer the composition of the b&w, with no suggestions or nits. The color version I like the colors/contrast there, but for some reason I’m wishing for more of the scene in the color version. Probably doesn’t make sense, but the color version seems a bit more cramped. weird.

Lon

Hi @Karl_Zuzarte, really great images. I prefer color version, i love the warm tones. I would also enhance lights on the subject with D&B. Thanks for sharing.

Great intimate capture along this narrow stretch of road. I love both of these and in both of them I am wishing for more of the far background up top but there was probably something in that scene that precluded you from adding any more up top. It’s rare that I choose a color image over a black and white but I think I like the color version here. You definitely took some artistic license with it but not overly so and in just the right amounts. I think it’s beautifully processed. I actually see lots of different portrait crops in this image and even one or two Landscape crops that also work. This scene really is captivating and allows the eye to wander.

The repost of the color one with more at the top and less at the bottom is really nice. I like it a lot!

[quote=“David_Haynes, post:5, topic:12820”]

choose a color image over a black and white but I think I like the color version here. You definitely took some artistic license with it but not overly so and in just the right amounts. I think it’s beautifully processed. I actually see lots of different portrait crops in this image and even one or two Landscape crops that also work. This scene really is captivating and allows the eye to wander.
[/quote]Would you be kind enough David to post some of your takes on the crops?. Thanks

Not sure any of these are any better but just different. When I said that I see a few different compositions I was not necessarily implying any of them were better but that this image has so many lines that you can get pretty creative with it. You could play all day with this image.

2 Likes

I think I liked the original colored one the best. The b&w has some loss of detail, especially in the dark areas. My first reaction was that I would have preferred a simpler composition without the horizontal folds at the bottom. It does, however, stretch the format considerably and therefore may not be a realistic crop. The image with the sky is actually pretty good in my opinion. I don’t find the sky boring at all. I think I would darken the horizontal layer on the bottom and see what that gives you. I agree that there needs to be a pedestal on the bottom but It’s pulling the eyes downward, away from those central creases.

1 Like

Thanks David

I know what you meant. I wanted to see what your eye was seeing and play around with your crops - Thanks!

Karl

Thanks @Igor_Doncov - Makes sense to darken the bottom - not crop it for the reasons you mention. May also add in a vignette

I like the twilight shot with the pinkened sky in the original very much as it compliments the rocks and earth colour it did strike me that the contrast within the rocks seemed a bit unnaturally high with the softness and colouration of the light behind.

I completely agree with you @Ian_Cameron

I tend to get carried away with these new tools at my disposal
Often when I go back I ask myself, what was I thinking?

In this one I cut the saturation and vibrancy quite a bit, making it closer to what I saw

Thanks

Karl