Delete Photo

Wished there was just a delete button when you want to delete a photo. It’s so simple.

Hi Danny, the software is built that way so you can’t delete a topic (aka photo) along with all the comments that members may have put a lot of work and thought into. You can delete the topic within 24 hours if there are no replies to it. If it’s after 24 hours you can flag the topic and request that a moderator deletes it, again if there are no replies so their comments are not lost.

Actually, I’m pretty sure there is nothing stopping anyone from removing the line of code that loads the picture. This pretty much removes the picture from the thread.

Granted, you can’t delete the post, but one can remove the image.

And if the intent is really to remove the image for whatever reason, I would simply remove the image and then make a comment to that effect so no one else things there’s a problem or the OP forgot to post the image. Then flag it for deletion if no comments as Dave mentions.

Not the cleanest, but images can be removed from posts.

While the suggestion about removing the line of code for the image is true, I’d encourage people NOT to do that if there are comments on the image. As noted in this thread, members may have put a lot of work and thought into their comment. Doesn’t seem fair to the commenters.

1 Like

That’s a good point Keith, thanks. The age old guideline on NPN is that nothing should be deleted once comments are posted. I still support that notion.

I guess Danny’s comment is that if a member makes a post and right away changes their mind, that there’s an easy-button. On the flip side, then if it were that easy, then posts could be deleted at any time, which counters the above notion. catch 22.

There is a delete button in the first 24 hours for the user, as long as nobody has replied. That brings up an interesting point that the moderators should not reply to posts that have a missing image because we then make it so they can’t delete. Instead we should send them a private message with information on how to post a photo, @moderators please take note.

4 Likes