Desert Bouquet

Might be the first cacti photo I’d ever taken. At least from the eastern sierra area. A healthy cholla cactus with Lone Pine Peak in the distance.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya “C” 65mm lens - Velvia 50

Cloud Cyan Removal

Real nice look at the cholla in its environment, a much more mountainous view than typical for cholla. I do cringe a bit, thinking of those jumpers imbedding in a dog paw. Maybe pull a bit of cyan out of some of the clouds? Other than that, looks really fine.

1 Like

Harley, as always thank you for the review and help with the cyan issue. I made the update change and posted a second image above… :sunglasses:
BTW: Yes any poor dog romping around near these devils can be injured big time. More so than any rattlers I never venture into the field without my snake guards to prevent cholla cactus punctures more then any snakes.
I had one of the jumping or teddy bear cholla get embedded in my hand at JTNP Cholla Garden and the nasty hooked barbs took me forever to get free.

Repost looks like you nailed it. I carry hemostats to pull the cholla off the dog or me. Anza and the cholla forest at J-Tree are the worst spots I have visited for the nasty barbs. I have no idea how coyotes, which are prevalent in both areas, deal with it. They are impossible to avoid.

Paul, the juxtaposition of cholla and mountain looks very good even as it lets the cholla be the star. As an off trail sort, I remember attempting to dodge jumping cholla in J-Tree (and failing…). The color shift is subtle enough that it’s hard to notice without being able to switch back and forth. I noticed the yellow in the clouds on the right edge more than the cyan. Yeah, we all see differently.

1 Like