Desert Chia

A member of the mint family, the desert chia and its seeds were used by the native people as a tea. I’d like to catch one fully in bloom, but I haven’t yet.

Canon RP, Tamron 90mm
1/30 at f11

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Beautiful flower, JT. I love the colors and textures and you framed it nicely. You may not be able to get this in “full” bloom. A lot of plants in this family just put out a few blossoms at a time rather than a mass bloom.

1 Like

Thanks, Dennis. That explains it.

This is a lovely image, James. The flowers are nicely dramatic as well as colorful. The contrast between the spikey sepals (??) and the blue flowers is great. The two oof yellow bits on the right are a minor distraction that could be fixed with a desaturation layer (provided your software will let you…) masked to only apply to the two yellow areas.

1 Like

James, I am not familiar with this flower, but I sure am enjoying it. The colors are really nice. I agree with Mark about the two oof yellow bits on the right side being a bit of a distraction, but hopefully that can be fixed pretty easily. It is really a beautiful flower.