Devil Punchbowl Area, CA

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I love how boulders can get wedged into waterfalls like this, it adds a really unique element to this image, and makes the waterfall look more dynamic. I also like the warm reflected light in the ULC, I think it adds a nice accent to the image. And i think your processing of exposure/contrast/color looks great.

To me the most interesting part of this image is the top 2/3’s. I think you need some of the green water to create some color contrast against the warmer rocks, but I could see cropping some of the water away. If there were morer interesting white water flows leading to the falls, then I could see including this much water. Here is a rework that conveys my thoughts on cropping. The other advantage of this crop is that it makes the rock and falls more prominent. Not everyone may agree, but this is what suits my taste.

1 Like

Danny, this has a lot of very nice opposing diagonals, which creates a very dynamic composition. I like the orange and blue/green palette. The shutter speed looks good to me, with a good amount of texture remaining in the whitewater below the falls.

The light on the rocks up top is so beautiful, I’d like to see a little more of it, but I don’t know what was up there, so that may not have been possible. I think @Ed_McGuirk’s crop is a good choice, as it eliminates the less interesting foreground water.