Dewey poppy

First post in a long, long time. Just getting back to NPN.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 80d Tamron 90mm macro, f/8 1/20, ColorEfex 4

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Welcome, Jim ! Glad you joined us!
This is an excellent first post. The subject, Background, and water drops are all first rate.
Very nice detail, as well. My only possible suggestion would be to leave a bit more room at the top.
Usually, centering something is not ideal - it’s more interesting if off-center - but with this tall, thin image centering works fine.
The largest image is huge so shows a lot of noise, as most images would at that resolution. .
There is really no need to upload an image bigger than about 1200 on the longest side. It shows up well here, and also helps prevent image theft of larger size images. I post at about 1000 for this reason.
Looking forward to more images from you, and also your comments and suggestions on the work of others.
Sandy

1 Like

Thanks, Sandy. It’s funny that the first couple I picked were positioned in the center. I appreciate the tip on size. I didn’t even think about it. I’ve got to figure out again what type of sharpening works best when posting. The image looks a lot sharper on my screen.

I look forward to participating more in NPN. I’ve got some nice ones from last summer in the PNW that I’m anxious to get your feedback on.

JT

James: Great first post. I love the color palette and your DOF management. I use straightforward Smart Sharpen in PS once I’ve got the image sized correctly and it generally turns out well, especially if I’ve done some preliminary sharpening on the original RAW capture in Lightroom. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more.>=))>

1 Like

Welcome back, JT. I’ve always loved California Poppies and this is a beauty. the dew and the detail in the upper part of the blossom are awesome, and I like the background. My only suggestion would be to try to get the camera on a level with the bloom if you can. In your largest image (which really is nice for critique), the focus is lost and there’s a fair amount of noise at the base of the bloom, so I’m guessing you shot from somewhat above it. Still a gorgeous image unless you get crazy and blow it up to pixel peeping size.

1 Like

Lovely, simple, strong image, the details of the droplets and petals standing out nicely from the variegated background. Very pleasing shot !!

1 Like

Welcome back! I think Dennis has pretty much nailed the critique: a gorgeous image, a slightly askew plane of focus and image sizing for post. I would add that the processing noise should not have shown up only in the OOF parts. I’m wondering if ColorEfex might have had something to do with it.

1 Like

Lovely. The contrasting background colors really lets the folded, dew-covered flower stand out. The centered comp is perfect for this. Very nicely captured and presented.

1 Like

Wow! Don’t think I’ve ever seen so many large dew drops on one bloom. I like the centered presentation. Agreed that the noise is apparent. I don’t know what it is in your workflow that causes it, but I’ve seen it before. Others can advise you on the best approach to tame it.

1 Like