Dickcissel

Found this male singing in a field early yesterday morning. The field was covered in dew with chest high grass. I got soaking wet.

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C, monopod
ISO 640, f8, 1/800s

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

I really like the composition. Nice use of rule of thirds. Good singing pose and detail. Nice background; complements the bird well. I like the diagonal perch with red and green foliage. Well done; worth getting wet for!

Allen, I am so glad that you were able to get out into the field and capture this, even if you did get wet. What a nice shot, to catch him with his tail feathers spread, and beak open in the midst of a note. I agree with Allen’s comments as well. :+1: :+1:

Allen; I agree with the others, this is a wonderful capture of this sweet little bird. Great job.

Ha. I can picture you out there chest-deep in that field–but I can also sympathize with how unpleasant it must’ve been!

Love the light, singing pose, fanned tail, perch, and background. I also really like the comp. except that I’d prefer a touch more room on the bottom so that there’s a bit more room under the leaf.

A lovely photo well worth the effort. Well focused with lots of detail. I like the complimentary colors. It looks like the bird got a bit wet also. Good for you.

Gorgeous image, Allen. Classic composition and the singing pose is superb. Well done.