Did you get your wish?

Lake Superior continues to be all about the rocks.

I focused on this rock as a foreground element of a landscape that really didn’t work so I cropped everything else out.

Specific Feedback Requested

Thoughts, suggestions and ideas for improvement are ok.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod. Cable release to try to time for the waves…small ones.

Lr processed with a lot of tonal management. Gradient and brush filters to emphasize the water.

@the.wire.smith
4 Likes

Kris, love the composition. Great moment for the wave and the texture of the rock juxtaposes nicely with the smoother elements in the image. Really like this. PS. wont enlarge for some reason.

1 Like

I copy Mario. One idea would be to crop at the bottom and to the right to emphasize the Stone even more.

1 Like

Thanks @Mario_Cornacchione & @Ola_Jovall - I can play with crops a bit. I did a ton of that to get to this orientation.

Uploaded a new image that does enlarge now.

1 Like

Wonderful light and perfect ss for the detail in the waves. Glad you found the hidden gem in a shot that didn’t work for you.

Kristen, the light here is just marvelous. You have caught it perfectly in that rock and it really accentuate the different texture on that rock. The only suggestion would be to burn the lower left area as a vignette to the rock.

1 Like

This photo works great for me. I agree a crop might help but as-is it works quite well for me. Nicely done!

1 Like

Thanks Diane…the light was pretty darn good and I’m glad I could salvage something of this view. I shouldn’t have tried to go for the wide - should have just focused on the rock, but it turned out ok.

Hm…I lightened that bit of water to make more of an evenly progressive line of surf, but I can have another look.

Thanks, @Matt_Payne - I think I can take in a bit more up and right, but I don’t think there’s anything more down and left.

Kris, I’m glad that you found a way to work this rock, other than as a foreground. The light here is very nice, and the rock itself makes a great focal point. I also think a crop might work. But I also really love the multi-colored stones in the LRC, and I would not want to crop any of those away. Here is an alternate idea on a crop…

1 Like

Thanks Ed, I was happy that I could salvage something, too. Was a bit discouraged and huffy at this point shooting and moved to the next cove for the shot with the couple on the cliff. I should have had more patience and crafted this one a bit more deliberately. But when racing the earth at sunset done does what one must.

I can continue to mess with it. Looks like you also took down the saturation.

Not by design. I have been having problems with my reworks getting color space shifts. I tried using a fix that David Kingham suggested, which doesn’t seem to be working all the time now. So take my rework for crop/composition purposes only, I think the colors in your original are fine.

You have no embedded color profile in your jpeg, which may be part of the reason my rework is creating shifted colors.

1 Like

Oh, I really like this, Kris. A great save from the landscape that didn’t work out. I have no nits at all, really enjoying this!

1 Like

thanks Ed and Bill.

Weird about the no embedded profile. I’ll recheck. I don’t think it’s always been that way. Odd.