Dogs in the Sky

Image Description

An old photo of the late Eli, staring at 2 dogs in the sky. The foreground was quite dark but I purposely darkened it even more to silhouette Eli and put the focus on the clouds. Actually one of my favorite dog photos :smiley:

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Would like opinions on the intentional silhouetting.

Technical Details

Sony DSC-R1 @ 25.2 mm, ISO-400, f/8.0, 1/1000, hand held.

Hi Gary,
that’s a beautiful silhouette image of your dog. I can imagine that it must be a beautiful memory of your pet.
I don’t know why, but I generally like to look at silhouette pictures. I guess it’s because of the simplicity of it.

The silhouette of the dog is great. But I’m not sure about the silhouette of the mountain in the background. I think it’s because of the patches of snow. Especially the patch in the center that is obviously hit by the sunlight.

I hope you don’t mind that I downloaded your image and messed around with it.
I just cloned out the center patch of snow, desaturated the blues of the remaining snow path slightly and darkend the mountain peak at the left edge.

I’m not sure if it’s better than your original image. But removing the snow hit by sunlight adds a bit to the simplicity of the silhouette.

Gary, the intensity in Eli’s pose and your choice to silhouette him make a great view. The best silhouettes always capture a personality characteristic and this one includes that.

Good catch, Jens! That one bright patch of sunlit snow was definitely a distraction and your fix was an improvement. Thanks for the critique!