Double-ringed Pennant

On a cool cloudy day a week ago, I found a number of these dragonflies freshly emergent from a local pond. I was wearing my overshoes so I could wade into the pond to get a decently clear view, although a careful look will show that the wing tips of the right are a touch soft. I believe that it’s a Double-ringed Pennant (Celithemis verna), which is a new species for my photo collection. (7D2, 180 mm macro, 1/100 s, f/13, iso 800, tripod) I tried some shots at f/22, but there was too much breeze.

2 Likes

Mark… the larger version says it all. Those wings are a beauty and to get the glare of the entire wings is not easy. Tack sharp through out. Lovely DF image
Balan Vinod

Mark, this is incredible. My first thought when I saw the wings was of stained glass. It should be viewed large to really appreciate this. Excellent capture.

Amazing Mark. I thought the exact same thing as @Shirley_Freeman . . . . the wings look like very delicate soft stained glass. Truly amazing . . . . so envious . . . .maybe someday. Thanks for the inspiration ,

1 Like

The detail,especially in the wings is truly amazing!!!

Amazing Photo Mark. The sharpness and DOF was perfect. A rich amount of color and contrast is great. This photo image really captures the colors and fine details that most miss out. When sitting at the lake and seeing these dragonflies everywhere they have no idea of the very fine details these small insects have. This photograph is a perfect example of seeing this insert from a view very few every see. A photographer sees everything through the camera. I have sat there even after taking the photo the many task a dragonfly does when sitting there.