Downpour

I found this to be a real interesting mix of different cloud formations and light hanging out over the desert and the Sierra crest.

1 Like

Harley, is this from the same trip that all your other recent cloud pictures are from? If so, then you really hit the jackpot. The light on the virga is absolutely gorgeous, and I love how it set off against the darker mountains. My initial reaction was to consider a more panoramic presentation, but after studying it for a while, I actually like having the multiple alternating layer of dark and light in the clouds. And I like having the very dark land at the bottom, and the very dark cloud at the top.

My only suggestion would be to slightly burn the darker tones in the cloud directly above the virga, to give it a little more prominence. But that is a nit, this another great addition to your recent series.

This may be the best of the series. This is better viewed in the NPN light mode because the dark bottom bleeds into the dark background. I initially thought that there wasn’t enough land but in the light mode it looks just right. There are some nice layers in this composition.

Very dynamic sky with wonderful details, Harley. I think you added just the right amount of land, and luminosity in the land, to effectively anchor the marvelous sky. The top strip of dark clouds and the land at bottom provide a natural vignette to focus the eye on the rain squall at center. To my eye this is the focal point of the image and to that end I find the bright warm area to the right competing. I would suggest deemphasizing this spot by desaturating, lightly burning and perhaps cooling down the temp.

This is stunning Harley. The layers of clouds and light are fascinating.

You have been killing it with these desert scenes and this one is no exception, Harley. The drama and cloud textures in the sky are gorgeous as is the alternating bands of dark and light layers. For me the most stunning part of the image is the cells of rain falling on those BG mountains with that wonderful lighting. Beautifully done IMO.