Driftwood Crenulations

Being a geologist, I associate crenulations with metamorphic rocks, but here’s some in an old redwood stump behind a beach in Humboldt County (California). It’s known as curly redwood. It always catches my eye when I see it in driftwood logs.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome. Although the colors were there, I did bring them out a lot, as the log was quite weathered. I like the way this turned out, and hopefully it’s no too lurid. Also dodged/burned to even out the exposure.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 105mm, f/11, 1/500s, ISO 200.

bonnie_lampley
6 Likes

Fascinating, Bonnie. The colors and texture are outstanding. The image seems alive with motion. Your post processing works well at least for me. Very nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Terrific abstract Bonnie. I really like wandering around this scene and seeing where it takes me. Almost maze like. The colors look just fine to me. What a neat capture.

1 Like

Really cool, Bonnie! It kind of looks like a topo map for a mountain climb!

As another geologist, I always admire the folding of various materials that are formed in flat layers, especially rock. I know you do too. I really like this image because I see folded layers or crenulations as you do.

This really is a personal opinion, but I don’t care for the color - perhaps a bit too lurid as you wondered.

I’m enjoying looking at the various patterns. It makes me think of a view from space of mountain ridges and valleys. Excellent abstract; well done.

Bonnie, this looks great. The colors and swirls flow very well through out the frame. As with Ronald’s post, the smaller versions look a bit over sharpened with the largest view being noticeably less crunchy in the details.

A great abstract with great patterns. The colors works great for me. I really like the depth that you have captured very well.

I like abstract photos where I can’t immediately tell what the subject is and this image has that going for it. Like Vanessa said, it looks like a topo map. I love the motion in the that the wood forms. I think the colors are good also.

I do agree with Mark that the sharpening is making it a bit crunchy.

Thank you, @linda_mellor, @David_Haynes, @Vanessa_Hill, @Matt_Lancaster, @Allen_Brooks, @Mark_Seaver, @Ola_Jovall, and @BrandonPHX for your thoughts. Matt and Brandon, I see what you mean about it being crunchy. I don’t usually do much sharpening, but for some reason I did on this one. I went back and fiddled with it, but didn’t like the results. The basic quality of this one isn’t that great now that I look really closely, so I’ll just scrap it, and try again next time I’m at this place.

The large view is really excellent. Good job on the color, textures, and abstract nature of this image.

2 Likes

Ah, great patterns and texture, great color. A beautiful abstract.

2 Likes