Early Light

Description: This is a picture I made while on an early morning hike into the Wisconsin River Bottoms not far from my home. I love the quiet and mysterious feel of the river bottoms in the early morning. They get very cluttered for the most part from deadfall and flooding and it is tough finding compositions but I always seem to enjoy that challenge.

Specific Feedback Requested: This image was about capturing that quiet mysterious feel of the river bottoms and hopefully that comes through.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Single exposure. Canon 5D4, Tamron 35-150 @ 73mm, ISO 50, 1/4 sec. No filters

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
5 Likes

Wow, Nick. You’ve picked up where you left off. This is marvelous. It’s light due to the fog that gives it that atmosphere. It’s a winning combination that Ed uses so often. This looks like a 19th century painting. Just amazing. Don’t know what to suggest really. Perhaps I would take the orange/red out of the leaves in the urc and make them yellow like all the other leaves? I don’t know because on the other hand I like them as they are. There’s also the thick branch coming in at top dead center. I wouldn’t crop it though because the vertical one has to have space. These type of suggestions are common so I write them but I notice art is full of such ‘issues’ so I question how much good they do. It’s an excellent image. There is no denying that.

1 Like

Hi Igor, I really appreciate your thoughts and thank you! I’m so pleased that it works for you as it did for me. Maybe I should try cloning that branch out at the top as I can see that could be an improvement if I can do a good job of it. Thanks, Nick

I would try Edit/Fill/ContentAware first.

1 Like

Ah the many looks of the Wisconsin river. I live on it and hike near it often.

Fog loves this river and you’ve done a nice job with it. It has a fall vibe to it and the mellow colors blend into each other really nicely. Agreed about the top branch
it needs to go. I tried scroll cropping the next highest branch out, but it needs to be there. The proportions are better with the crop you have. To alter the reddish leaves you could shift the color to the yellow end or clone the more yellowed leaves from near the trunk. Altogether a lovely scene and well presented.

1 Like

Nick, To me you are succeeded in bringing your feeling over in this nice image.

1 Like

This is simply spectacular Nick, the light is simply gorgeous. It does look like a painting from the Hudson River School of landscape painting. It has the warm glow that Bierstadt used so well in his paintings.

Like @Igor_Doncov I have an issue with the dead center branch too. But rather than cloning it away, I would suggest cropping it away. This would cut off the top of the bare trunk in the center, which is a small negative to me. But I also think it makes the curved horizontal branch a much more effective framing element across the top of the cropped image. To me this is a big advantage, one worth losing the top of the middle tree. I did this as a scroll crop and think it works very well.

1 Like

Igor, Kristen, Ben van der Sande and Ed, Thanks to all of you for some great suggestions. I think I can improve the image with those suggestions now. Thanks, Nick

Nick,
That sweet light streaming in from the left side reminds me of some paintings from the Hudson River School. It is good to see you posting again as you seem to have a special connection with this area. My only suggestion would be to clone or crop that branch along the top middle of the frame. This is beautifully done.

1 Like

This is a great image, the feeling is for sure captured! The light is magic, and you have framed a very nice portion of the nature. As I often say about @Ben_van_der_Sande images, the light captured make it look like a painting.

1 Like

Wow, Nick! You captured the scene so beautifully! I agree with some who said it looks like a painting. I guess that’s because of the fog and the lighting and your slow shutter speed combined? It’s my goal to try and capture scenes in this style! I think it’s a great work!

1 Like

Ed, Ola and Vanessa, Thank you all for your thoughts on this picture. They are so much appreciated. Thanks, Nick

I am new to the network so nice to meet you. I find this image to be quite stunning in a calm way if that makes any sense. As others have commented it has a lovely painterly look about it. Also, the transition in luminosity and contrast from the left to the right is very nice.

1 Like

Welcome back Nick! Great to see images from you again!

This is exquisite! Of course the light is quite special and you’ve found a lovely scene that you have indeed avoided all the clutter most typical of a forest as you describe. I especially find the opening just to the right of center inviting and drawing me in - there’s a sense of being pulled from the dark in to the light
 (lot’s of metaphors to be used
). Processing excellent of course.

I’m less bothered by the branch up top, but for some reason the root clump in the LLC is more of an eye draw. Very minor for sure, but I could see that disappearing and then slightly darkening the water surface (maybe
) Otherwise, just a wonderful image.

Lon

1 Like

Dean and Lon, Thanks guys! Nice to meet you here as well, Dean. So pleased that you both like the image and I much appreciate your thoughts on it. Lon, It’s good being back! Nick

Hi Nick!! Great to see you here!

This is SWEET! A fantastic creation, and so much to see and enjoy. Very nicely composed (although I would love to explore the LLC more, the water). The mist makes this very mysterious and gives a great feel. Igor mentioned the orangish leaves but I like them as they are. I wonder if a very slight increase in overall contrast would be beneficial (just a wee bit). A great eye to see this!

Hi Bill, Thank You! Maybe a small amount of added contrast would work ok and I can try that. I know to much would take away the mood/feel this has so a light hand would be in order as you mentioned. It has been awhile since I was on here and it is nice to be back! Thanks Bill, Nick

1 Like

Indeed, too much would ruin it in a hurry. A very “light” hand.

1 Like

I am really enjoying the atmosphere and gorgeous light that you have captured here Nick. I agree with some of the others about either cropping or cloning out the branch in the top center. Welcome back!

Hi Eva, Thank you. I agree that the branch at very top center should go so I will take care of that. Nice to be back with the group! Nick

1 Like