Eastern wood pewee + updated version

Updated version w/suggestions from David & Diane - rotation, reduced clarity & exposure in right side branch, added canvas.

At first I thought this was a Warbling vireo, but those wing bars say different. Then I thought it might be an Alder or a Willow flycatcher, but the tail is forked at the end instead of square, so I came to pewee. It’s my first time photographing one. From the deck looking up into the canopy a little ways. Up from under is how a lot of the birds present since many of them like to be up there foraging for bugs and other tasty treats.

Specific Feedback Requested

Well, anything. I’m trying to get better at this bird photography thing. As the leaves grow in I’ll have to change tactics, but for now the deck works as well as anything.

I’ve included some extra technical info w/regard to camera settings. Some may be unique to Panasonic, but probably not all. I’m not good enough for full manual with bird photography so I use something flexible so that I can concentrate on framing, focusing and just plain keeping up with these fast little guys. Any suggestions here are welcome, too.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9 w/battery grip
P/L 100-400 f/4-6.3 @ 400mm (800mm equiv.)
f/6.3 | 1/500 sec | ISO 320
Handheld braced on something - railing or grill
Shutter priority, auto ISO, auto WB, animal detect focus, Dual IS & specialized focus settings for movement, quick changes & near bias

Lr adjusted for a crop, white & black points, a little sharpening & nr. Ps for some curves layers on the bird only and some smart sharpening. Also mitigated the appearance of a spider web, it’s still there, but barely.

@the.wire.smith

Excellent image, Kris. I like the typical pose and the setting is perfect for this kind of bird. Not a nit, but just for reference, if you can catch the bird looking down and toward you,it makes it look as if they were more on your level. In this case, I like the way it’s looking off into the distance, presumably for something to eat. At one point I built a photography platform up in the copse of firs on our property, but the darn trees kept growing (Douglas Firs will put on 4’ a year around here) so I lost my “treetops” and finally took it down. My wife probably wouldn’t let me go up there anymore anyhow.

1 Like

Nice capture, Kris. There is just enough environment there to add a bit of interest. I, too shoot from my deck a lot, which is about 12 feet from the ground. It offers a nice opportunity to get on an semi-even keel with the surrounding tree canopies.

Thanks guys. I wish it had looked down, but it was so quick - there and gone. You know how they are.

I’ve given thought to putting a tree stand up, but my neighbor has two so I can always walk across the street!

I really like this image and you did an excellent job with the detail and perch. I rotated the image to give it a little more of a level appearance. I also removed the branch above the head as it was pulling my eye.

Thanks David. It hadn’t occurred to me to try to remove the other branch, but you did it perfectly. The rotation helps, too. Thanks much. I’m such a bird newbie.

This is wonderful! Great light, detail and sharpness on the bird and a lovely setting! I’m 50-50 about David’s branch removal – I love both versions. The OOF branch adds a bit of visual balance – maybe compromise by reducing its contrast?

Thanks, @Diane_Miller - Not sure how things will continue as the leaves fill in, but we’ll see. There’s a thrush nesting in the yard again (I think Hermit, but will have to recheck) and I want to set up the blind so I can catch them foraging.

I reduced the weight of the branch in the repost. See what you think.

I like it! With a good image you can often have several versions.